Guerlain Ecrin 4 Couleurs in Les Cuirs from Mirror Mirror Collection for Fall 2011

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Guerlain has introduced nine Ecrin 4 Couleurs eye shadow palettes ($59) with its Mirror Mirror Collection for Fall 2011. This morning, I offered a quick peek at Les Verts and Les Gris. We will return to them. As I explained, I wasn't happy with my swatch photos of those gorgeous palettes.

I wanted to show you Les Cuirs (07) today too, the palette designed for me. OK, just kidding. I would love to think it was made just for me, but Les Cuirs (the leathers in English) will appeal to everyone who loves neutral eye shadows.

Each palette offers shadow tones in four finishes, all of which are creamy powders that apply evenly with ease.
  • Matte, with an ultra-soft finish
  • Iridescent, with a micro-pearl look
  • Velvet Satin, for a soft, delicate, velvety finish
  • Alcatar’s Eyes, with a soft "metallic" finish
Here's a photo of the display at Neiman Marcus. Les Cuirs is pictured third from the top on the right side of the display. If you love brown-toned shades, your eyes will go right to it.

I took swatch photos in full sun. Because I wasn't happy with the photos I took of Les Verts and Les Gris, I gave my arm a foundation this afternoon. I applied a teeny tiny bit of Luminous Silk Foundation to my arm to provide the shadows with a "primer" so that they would adhere nicely for my photos. It made all the difference - either that or the sun's angle. I applied each shade with a sponge-tipped applicator. The shade on the left side of the palette is shown at the top of my arm. I swatched clockwise, ending with the shade at the bottom of the palette shown above.

The medium brown at the top is the metallic shade. In Les Cuirs, I'd call it shimmering. Metallic seems like such an over-the-top descriptor, and it's not outré. It's simply gorgeous. The creamy shade at the top of the palette is shown below. It's the matte base color that coordinates beautifully with the other hues.

To my eye, there's only a slight difference in the look of the Iridescent and Velvet Satin shades. Both offer a very subtle shimmer. One is a shade I call "tan" because that's how it looks on my skin. Others might call it a light camel. On those with darker skin, the shade will have a different effect. I'm sure. The shade shown at the bottom of my arm is a drop-dead stunning taupe. Pull out your wallets, taupe lovers!

Every one of the shades offers Guerlain's extraordinary micro-fine powder texture that applies and adheres like a dream come true. Use a brush to apply the shades in the palette, and you will be able to build color easily. You can go light and natural for a day look or layer the color of the two darker shades for a look that will take you into night (but without major drama, if you wish). At first glance, you might think the shades are more of the same: nudes we know so well. Each has its own unique hue and quality, though. You must play with Les Cuirs to appreciate it fully.

You can play now! The collection has arrived at Neiman Marcus, where I purchased my palettes. That means it will be at all Guerlain counters very soon, if it's not already.

I'm having fun with my new palettes. So many colors, so many looks! They make me feel pampered. How will I resist buying three more?

Photos by Best Things in Beauty