The Friday Forum - July 22

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Friday, July 22, 2011

The cleome - so delicate and so pretty! Unfortunately, it has been so hot here for the last few days, the cleomes close up in the afternoon to preserve and protect their moisture. Today is predicted to be the worst day of the week, with a heat index around 120 degrees. The heat wouldn't be that bad, except for the humidity, which lends a sticky, uncomfortable feeling to the skin in minutes. Time to bring out those wonderful, hydrating mist sprays! Please remember to leave out water for wildlife. I saw one of my foxes drinking early this morning - that made me happy.

This week was historic, but also sad. For years, I worked as a consultant to NASA and have memories I'll always cherish: seeing the Space Shuttle in a hanger, long before the first launch, experiencing the sheer energy and exhilaration of a launch up close - more than I can recount in a short blog post. Now, as the Shuttle program has ended, and we don't know where NASA is headed, I feel a loss. Even worse, though, I worry about all the people who worked on the program. They are losing their jobs, their lifelong passions, as NASA shuts down a program that has made the United States a leader in space. With the economy in tatters again, what will become of all those members of the NASA family? I know it's going to be hard for them to move on. From one blogger to all of them...Bravo, job well done!

Tonight, I plan to attend a Sisley event at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria. It's a master class with Sisley's top trainer, accompanied by wine and nibbles. I can't think of a better way to spend an evening: in an air-conditioned room talking beauty. Since it's summer and so many head out of the DC area in July, there are spaces available (or there were yesterday). If you live nearby and would like to attend, call (703) 761-1600 and ask for Kathy Shoreman at extension 3268.

The fall beauty collections are filtering into the stores or making their debuts online, and I'm impressed. I've tried to give you sneak peeks as I've received the photos so that you can be as tempted as I am. My wish list is growing (Guerlain, Giorgio Armani, Chanel, Le Métier de Beauté, and more). Not only that, the latest fragrance introductions, plus my exploration of scents and lines, have stunned me (and my wallet). I'm really enjoying the "trip." I did order Cartier's Baiser Volé Eau de Parfum (I asked for help on that purchase last week). I hope it arrives today, and I hope I love it as much as I love the company's baby big cat ads!

It's time for The Friday Forum, our open chat. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers have moved on.

The giveaway contest for Kate Somerville's Daily Detox Cleanser ends tomorrow, July 23, at midnight. Make sure to enter before then!

Photo by Best Things in Beauty