The Friday Forum - July 15

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Friday, July 15, 2011

From my garden - again! I just can't get enough of these beautiful hydrangeas. We finally got some rain - quite a downpour - this week. Had the rain not come, I would have been dragging hoses around to give my plants a drink. Please remember to put out water for wildlife. If it's hot or dry, they need it.

This was a slow week in more ways than one. Time always passes slowly when you are "willing" new collections to arrive at the stores. I shared a few sneak peeks with you - some of the beautiful fall makeup and fragrance I'll be purchasing (soon, I hope). Some would say we are in the dog days of summer.

Did you know that Sirius, the “dog star,” rises and sets with the sun. During late July, Sirius is in conjunction with the sun, and the ancients believed that its heat added to the heat of the sun, creating a stretch of hot and sultry weather. They named this period of time, from 20 days before the conjunction to 20 days after, “dog days” after the dog star.

The conjunction of Sirius with the sun varies somewhat with latitude. And the “precession of the equinoxes” (a gradual drifting of the constellations over time) means that the constellations today are not in exactly the same place in the sky as they were in ancient Rome. Today, dog days occur during the period between July 3 and August 11. Charlie had something to say about that. Something about a cat star...

I received my Beautyhabit order this week, and I can't wait to tell you about two new fragrances I purchased - and love. I've been having a fragrance blast here over the last few weeks, and I'm learning as I sniff. While I may not choose to live in some of the more exotic fragrances I've tried, I am trying to sharpen my ability to identify notes in unusual blends. One sweet reader sent me a box full of fragrance samples. She has opened my eyes to new lines and new genres, and I'm extremely grateful.

Then, there was the news I got from WWD this morning. Justin Bieber's new women's fragrance, Someday, was the top-selling "prestige" fragrance in the U.S. in the two-week period ending July 2 and is on target to be #1 this year. I am so out of touch! Billed as a "fruity gourmand" scent, Someday was created to appeal to the 14-18-year-old set. Save me.

It's time for The Friday Forum, our open chat. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers have moved on.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway contest for M·A·C's Possessed by Pink Lip Kit! The deadline is tomorrow, July 15, at midnight. If you don't enter, you can't win.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty